Friday, May 25, 2007

In-law Relationship...

Another case story about my concern with older persons is all about how I love my mother-in-law. My mother-in-law is now 79 years old. She is with me now after my father-in-law died two years ago. Both her daughters have a family of their own and one of her two daughters was my girlfriend before. Now she is already my wife for 26 years. My wife survived from a heart operation four years ago and we thank God she is still alive and living normally as my closest partner in life.

More often, I heard sad stories about rocky relationship with mother-in-laws who are over protective with their children. But I proved them wrong in my case. I certainly feel my mother-in-law loves me as her own son because I see her very comfortable and happy with me and my family at home. She sees to it that my usual needs at home are provided by my wife. She always gives orders to my wife like preparing the table for my breakfast while I read the daily newspaper in the living room. She tries to show me how important I am to her that she wants me treated like this in her simple way. That’s why I love my mother-in-law as my very own mother.

Before, every early morning during weekends I use to do my taishi exercise right after the first exercise I do as a street sweeper. I love street sweeping because my muscles are flexed together with my spines while I perspire. Besides this form of an exercise as I see it, is more productive and safer than playing basketball. However, my mother-in-law took this from me by going out of bed earlier than I do. So every time I wake up each weekend morning, the street is already clean. My mother-in-law does the street sweeping for me because she loves street sweeping also as part of her daily exercise to maintain her physical stability. I have to give up street sweeping for my mother-in-law because I love her and I know she loves doing it for her own good.

My mother-in-law can still travel to places visiting her other relatives and grandchildren. She even travels alone from Antipolo to Divisoria to buy herbal medicines for our monthly health maintenance. We just let her do it to keep her associated with her circle of friends and dear ones rather than confining her at home. I know this is one way of relieving her stresses of becoming lonely at home. The risk in commuting with jeepneys in Metro Manila is very high at her age. But I see my mother-in-law has the strong determination in braving all the dangers she has ahead at her age. I knew deep inside that she wants to prove to herself that she is still capable of doing it and that she wanted to show in herself the positive attitude never surrender herself to her age. Thanks God, she is still physically active these days.

During Sundays after attending mass, I see to it that my mother-in-law is with us at the mall. She loves and enjoys playing bingo game during Sundays. I knew this is her favorite diversion, her way and reason of helping others in need by playing the game. We just let her do it as long as she is happy doing it. But I am not happy with my pocket. So every Sunday, I see to it that I have enough cash for her to play the bingo game.

My mother-in-law loves also watching sports program on TV especially boxing matches of Manny Pacquiao. It’s sad to say, Manny Pacquiao is her idol not me her son-in-law. She also enjoys watching the programs of the National Geographic Channel about wild animals especially the behavior of the monkeys and the apes. I presumed, she might be missing some of her past relatives and ancestors. But I know this is her way of recollecting her past, of unfolding the missing link of her life. Deep inside me, I feel that she just wanted to make use of her dull moments watching enjoyable TV programs at her age. So, when I’m home I see to it that she has the remote control with her always to choose any TV programs she likes watching because I love my mother-in-law as my very own mother.

Continue...

No comments: