Friday, May 25, 2007

Know Your President...

Every one of you knows about your 81 year-old president, no other than Rev. Henry Brillon Aguilan. At his age, who could believe that he still has the capabilities of a 50 year-old person? As you can see him, he seems surprisingly stable physically, mentally, economically, and socially at his age. But that’s not true! Rev. Aguilan is not spared with all the problems faced by a retired person like you. The good thing is that he uses his expertise in doing his role in life, so that he always looks glowing at his age. And I know very well that God spared this man from oblivion, like all of us here, because he still has to fulfill the mission God has on him.

The first time I met this man, I saw him as a touchy and arrogant person as he seems to be. We had a communication gap then because he spoke in biblical terms the way ministers do and I spoke in technical terms the way engineers do. Moreover, the other problem I faced then was our age gap. I really had some difficulties talking with him as he is much older than I am. As a man brought up by humble parents belonging to your generation, my high respect for older person is awesome so that I just opted to listen to him when he talks, as I did it to my own father. I saw him so emphatic in telling about his achievements and he was so demanding that he wanted things done accordingly, pronto and on time. ‘Parang masungit sa palagay ko! Siguro kulang lang sa pansin ang matandang ito’, I then surmised. In reaction to his sort of arrogance, I tried to show him also my humble achievement as an engineer and as a potential writer. Payabangan na! A negative reaction which I know cannot help bridge the communication gap between us. The good thing happened is when he started to listen and respect me as I respect him, like a son to a father. From then on, the communication avenue between us widened as I learned a lot from him as he does, regardless of our age difference.

One day, Rev. Aguilan requested me to edit and give comments to a write up he prepared from his old typewriter. What I saw was part of a manuscript of a book he has written.

“Are you writing a book?”, as I asked him.
“Yes I am.”, was his answer. “I already authored several books before.” he proudly added.

So I started to go over and correct the manuscript religiously for fear of being reprimanded by an old achiever like him. Malaki kasi ang respeto ko sa mga matatanda.

“Bakit po sa typewriter mo pa ginawa ito? Mahirap mag-edit sa typewriter. Wala ka bang computer sa bahay?” I asked him politely.

“Wala! At hindi ako marunong gumamit ng computer.” was his blunt answer to me.

“I can teach you how to use it when you have one.” was my promising answer.

I knew God has opened up his mind to my suggestion when he called me up one day to accompany him to a computer shop. But then I was surprised when he bought two sets of computers when he only needed one.

“Bakit po dalawang set ang binili mo?” I asked him.

“Para kay Gailry yong isang set.” was his answer. These words I heard from him triggered my wishes, my longing for a father like him, a father who still gives much concern to his children at his age. Besides, Rev. Aguilan strives in himself not to be isolated in this modern world by associating and learning the lessons with the younger generations so humbly like learning computer lessons from me.

From then on I respected Rev. Henry Brillon Aguilan as a surrogate father to me, a big brother, and a close barkada. Whenever he needs my services, he calls me up. When he has problems, he listens and heeds my friendly advice. In such a process, we were able to open a wide avenue of communication. Then I discovered in him the positive effect of sharing one another’s experiences by bridging the communication gap between us regardless of our age difference.

No comments: